Thursday, June 20, 2013

Entry #16: Stories

I'm sitting here staring at my phone, not quite knowing what to write, what to say to properly express just how I feel. Today isn't "Luke's storytime" or anything about what happened today, this is just about me. Oh, I'm Luke, by the way. I'm not gonna use a stupid nickname or alias. If someone I know reads this and wants me to hide their identity, I will, but for the most part I'm going to use real names. Alot easier to remember. Anyways, it's Tuesday. I can post on Mondays. This means that if I post this it might be a bit out of date. I might write one fresh on Monday for that reason. But I digress. The real point of this blog is to talk about stories. I don't know how you read stories, but when I do I become the main character. This isn't a "I'm really into the book" or even "wow this character is awesome I'm gonna cosplay as them" oh no. This is "I relate to this character and now their emotions become mine involuntarily. Now, I have to like the story and relate, but... Let's take Artemis Fowl. Excellent series. After reading the first three books I was a teenage criminal mastermind genius for a month. It was scary, for me and those around me. I'm empathetic to story characters. So please, please, PLEASE don't give me a character who's parents are divorced but are forced to tentatively interact with catastrophic consequences because of said character, or who doesn't feel at home in their own body (bi-sexual in a hetero only tolerance family), or who can't quite tell the person that they really like how they feel because they value the friendship, or who clings to parts of their past stubbornly because that's the only link they have to what they were before. It's a bad idea,
m-Kay? Anyways, Now that I have that out of the way... I'm a lifeguard. Wooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment